Tuesday, January 16, 2007

SRC (Underrated American Classic!)

SRC - Self Titled
1968 - Detroit USA

I remember years ago meeting american artist/musician Mike Kelley (Destroy All Monsters) and talking music with the guy for awhile. The only band he seemed to think where worthwhile from the early Detroit rock scene which he grew up around was the "SRC." I remember being shocked that I had never heard of this band though not too shock when I found how hard it was to find their S/T album. Skip a few years later and I finally found a reasonably priced reissue Lp and man was I floored.
Amazing Hammond/Bass/Drum melodies with scorching fuzz guitar leads that make me think guitarist Michael Karoli of Can was into this record. The SRC really had their own sound on their first record, I can't really compare it to anything of the time. Unfortunately I found the couple of later albums they produced quite boring but that may be due to the fact that the band had kicked out Gary Quackenbush who did all the lead guitar work on the album.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! ! !

Download here,
SRC

20 comments:

Bill Doltenmeyerfishinweir said...

Oh yeah, this is a good one!

Anonymous said...

I'll second that. A co-worker has told me for years about SRC, and I finally managed to find a cd copy of the 2-fer (their first two albums) and was BLOWN AWAY! Unbelievably great stuff, tops of the Detroit scene.

public relations disaster said...

i only see a blank page with mediafire, odd.

Jon said...

wonderful stuff FM shades!
thanks for posting this...and not using rapidshare!

http://jon-knowles.livejournal.com/

http://jon-knowles.livejournal.com/2245.html

Carlos! said...

very amazing. I listened to this last night and was very impressed. Had never heard of it in my life. Thanks again, FM shades

redtelephone66 said...

Could you post "Milestones" if you have it?
Thank you for the post

Ol' Hank said...

Like most of your Commentators, while I'd heard of SRC, I never got the chance to heard their recordings. I cannot believe it took so long. This one's a real corker! Double kudos!

~ol' hank, 2oo7

zippy said...

Great Post! I had no problem downloading file-enabling cookies helped..BTW here's a link for the
Milestones LP! http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B6K7M5SD (Copy and Paste-Sorry!)

Mars said...

Shades! Just wanted to tell you I can't stop listening to 'Onesimpletask'!! It sounds like a Mystical Iggy fronting a Sabbath fueled Doors!

Paisley Panties said...

What an awesome album. I'm from Detroit and spent years in Ann Arbor, but i never heard these guys. I used to see Destroy All Monsters all the time, though. And I never did like them.

Brian said...

your blog is one of sheer excellence, the little player at the bottom is much appreciated.
this album is great, keep up the good work.

Synthetic said...

What an excellent album, sure glad you posted this. i also discovered that there second album is fine also. Has anyone else noticed the occasional similarity between SRC's lead vocals and Colin Blunstone of The Zombies?

Ronnie said...

I love bands with organists so I am givin' this one a listen! Thanks and great blog you have. :)

peace
Ronnie
http://psychedeliclion.blogspot.com

Delta said...

Great stuff

Mr. Pablo said...

I only found your (amazing) blog yesterday and, after downloading Destroy All Monsters, Brother Ah and Chrome, was ready to grab SRC, only to find that it's no longer available. Any chance of re-upping the SRC file? Please!?!

thnx!

Mr. P

FM SHADES said...

I just updated the DL link for SRC.
july 12 '08

Mr. Pablo said...

Many, many thanks!

Mr. P

zappahead said...

Havent heard this album since the ealry 70's and yet I still hear the opening track pounding in my brain....thank you for this and for your superlative blog...you work very hard to bring out the best...thank you very much

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of your treasures!

Christopher said...

I am so psyched to hear this! Heard talk of these guys for years, but this will be my first listen. Thanks!