Thursday, June 28, 2012

fm shades limbo

So FM SHADES has had all the DL Links suspended by mediafire.. It may be the end to the blog, I'm not sure yet... if I keep it going it will be awhile before everything is reposted.

Of course there is much debate about music blogs and I do have a problem with many of them posting new releases. FM SHADES was about opening people's eyes to a deep world of music that is unheard yet very important. Any time a artist asked me to remove a link I would comply. When I was young in the late 80s/early 90s I had great programs like CBC's "Brave New Waves" to turn me onto new sounds . Without it I would have been lost. Now in this modern digital wasteland blogs have been many folks education to the past before them. And a lot of the time those people go out and buy the records they've been turned onto.

We've all made mix tapes, tapes shows with VCR's, Burnt CD's, and played music in a public place. ALL technically copy write infringement. I look forward to the time when we look back at all this business and laugh.

Here's some words from a fan email a few years ago to summarize things,

"hey i've been following your blog for a while now but this is the first time i've commented. I've really enjoyed a lot of the albums you've posted. I'm 16, so this is like a whole new world to me and I wouldn't have access to it any other way, so I am very grateful for your efforts. My favorite albums have been definitely been Parameter, Jakob Olausson, Wicked Lady,THE INDEX!!!!, and Destroy all Monsters. You've also turned me on to Joe Meek and the Sun City Girls. Without you i never would stumbled across any of this music, and i would be less of what i am now. To be honest a lot of the stuff i've downloaded from blogs has been crap, but when you come across that song, that special song that speaks to you, the song that transcends it's humble age and obscurity, it just floors you. It's amazing how the same feelings inspired music back then, just as they do now. I really look forward to whatever you bring us in the future, and i'm very thankful for what you've done in the past.Thanks, tcf "

regards, fm shades

11 comments:

gilhodges said...

So so sorry. You don't deserve this. Been at it longer than most. Flash Strap just had its Mediafire links wiped, too. One complaint referenced a Sun City Girls offering. Is that the case here with FMS as well?

Evan said...

this blog was/is sick. stellar stuff and considerately presented. I especially liked how there was not an overflow of content like some other blogs. too much is the same as not enough. :) thanks for the vibe spreading.

MarsHottentot said...

One thing I've noticed around the blogos is that 70's hard rock dudes do NOT like their stuff going up. It doesn't matter that no one ever listened to them and this is a second chance - these dudes are still looking at it from a 70's perspective and you're stealing imaginary bread from their mouths. Eh, whatcha gonna do?

This blog was a trip. Thank you for so many great turn ons. I would suggest you not wipe the blog as your writing is valuable stuff!

arch wizard mode said...

i just checked on mutant sounds blog to see what was happening with them, and they are still putting up links with rapidshare. I just downloaded two albums from their site using rapidshare and everything worked the same as usual. so please keep posting albums using rapidshare. i love mutant sounds, very similar, but i still like your blog here the best. please keep at it.

If you plan on retiring the blog would you please leave us all with a list of the albums/artists that you would have been putting up here in the future so we can at least do some research and hopefully still find it on our own? Thanks, Brandon

Mar said...

This blog has been a favorite for years. Sorry to hear about this fascism-thumbs down stink face

Austin Alexander said...

hoping for the best!
Thank you for so so much!

Rese said...

I totally agree with evan. The thing that separate your blog from most of the others is "simple" passion. I´m pretty sure there is a lot music out there I would love, but a lot of them I found here, thx²!

I really hope you can stay in this digital wasteland a bit longer!!

#ifdefDEBUG + "world/enough" + "time"

bjorn.vanhalen said...

I cannot tell you how excited I would feel every time you would post an update. Your voice within the blog-o-sphere is hugely appreciated. I certainly hope this is not the end...

thanks again.
bjorn

DrEyescope said...

How demoralizing.Good luck with whatever choice you make for the future of FM SHADES.

kevinass said...

when.i.initially.discovered.the.secret.world.of.lost.and.esoteric.music.available.on.line.for.download.this..was.the.first.blog.I.came.to....I.was.ecstatic!..it.was.four?.years.ago..I.hope.you.can.continue...but.if.not.know.that.you.brought.TONS.of.pleasure.the.secret.world!

salostia said...

It's a shame. Your blog is fantastic. I'm listening to experimental sounds since the end of the eighties, but you posted a lot of stuff i've never heard or read about. So, that's incredible they suspended so many materials which are not possible to buy. Keep on keepin' on. All the best,

mario